Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Recipe For Pot Roast

Get a large pot roast and a big dutch oven OR a big roasting pan. Use olive oil on whatever pan you’ve decided to use. Throw into your vessel two cans of cream of mushroom soup and one can of beef broth soup (or even better, a cup of burgundy red wine in place of the beef broth). Toss in about 5 peppercorns OR grind a good amount of pepper. I also use about a tablespoon or more of minced garlic. Cut up and dice a whole white onion along with some mushroom slices. Add some Rosemary, a couple of bay leaves, oregano, thyme and what ever spices you enjoy. I usually add a good dose of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, whichever is available. Cook at a low and steady temperature. For the oven, 250 degrees. For the stove top, medium low or lower. I cook mine long and slow.

If you like your gravy to have some cajones, you can always add a bullion cube or two. You can even add a dash of liquid smoke. Also, if your gravy is too watery, sift a table spoon of corn starch to thicken it.

You can add carrots, but I like my sides cooked separately. I like mashed new potatoes and something green to go with my roast. Also, I like the flaky crescent rolls from the frozen food section.

For desert? That’s always up for debate!


Digg!

No comments:

Subscribe with Bloglines